If we talking about agriculture and the importance to our environment. I would like to highlight the impact that the ‘milpa’ has had on the raise of ancient Mexican civilisations and our modern diet.
It has 4 basic ingredients, corn🌽, chilli🌶, beans, and zucchini – which are the basis for many of my recipes but today I wanted to highlight one of my favourites.
Zucchini flower quesadillas🤤
This is a handy recipe for those busy days when you need to prepare something easy and fast but at the same time delicious.😍
Zucchini flower quesadillas
- ½ kg zucchini flower
- 1 jalapeño chilli
- ½ white or brown onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 400 g mozzarella cheese substitute with any melty cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 12 corn tortillas preferably from La Tortilleria
- Whole or refried beans
- Your favourite salsa
- Remove the centre of the zucchini flower, cut them into large pieces, and wash them in boiling water with a little salt for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the onion, jalapeño, garlic and crumble the cheese.
- Heat a bit of oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the onion until it becomes transparent, then add the garlic, chilli and a little salt, cook for another couple of minutes and add the zucchini flower, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Heat a clean skillet or comal and reheat the tortillas, add cheese on top and the zucchini flower filling, fold the tortilla in half, letting heat a couple of minutes on each side so that the cheese melts.
- Serve with whole or refried beans on the side and your favourite salsa on top.
- ¡Buen provecho!