Very quick, yet filling breakfast. Or like we will say in Australia, brekkie.
The base is a humble cheese quesadilla with a fried egg on top, cover on salsa and finished with avocado slices on top 🙂
Gerardo's Mexican brekkie
Desayuno Especial de Gerardo
Anytime I'm in need of comfort breakfast food I tend to make this recipe so I wanted to share with everyone. I don't think something like has a name in Mexico. It is sort of a combination of 'huevos rancheros' but with a quesadilla instead of a corn tortilla and refried beans. Be brave and make your own combination and share with me!Print Recipe
- Frying pan
- 8 corn tortillas preferably La Tortilleria
- 100 gr mozzarella or cheddar cheese replace with any melty cheese of choice
- 8 free range eggs
- 1 avocado
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- vegetable oil
- 300 ml salsa roja
- Cut cheese in thin slices or shred. Cut the avocados in slices and tomatoes in half.
- In a saucepan, add the salsa and simmer at low heat.
- On a very hot frying pan, place a tortilla and cover in cheese then cover with another tortilla on top. After 30 seconds, flip tortillas over and cook for another 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Then serve on a plate. Repeat until you have no tortillas left.
- On the same frying pan, add a bit of oil and fry two eggs at a time. Cook your eggs the way you like them best. Place the fry eggs on top of the quesadilla. Repeat for each serve.
- Add the salsa on top of the egg and garnish with avocado and tomatoes.
Be creative, you can add your favourite topping to your brekkie. Here are some suggestions:
- Refried beans on the side or between quesadilla and egg.
- Coriander, also known as cilantro, leaves on top.
- Fresh jalapeño slices if you like your food spicy.
- Crumbly fetta or 'queso fresco' on top