Although the traditional method of preparing barbacoa is somewhat complex and involves a pit dug in the ground😬.
There are also more practical ways to prepare it from home🤗. And this is a simple method I use at home.
An excellent option to enjoy on Sundays as I used to do in México when I was a kid.
Beef Barbacoa Recipe
- Convectional oven
- 15 Corn tortillas preferably from La Tortilleria
- 1 ½ kg of beef tongue
- 1 ½ kg of beef cheek
- 10 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 white or brown onion cut in four parts
- Salt to taste
- 1 coriander bunch finely chopped
- ½ red or white onion finely chopped
- 4 limes cut in four or six parts
- Wash the beef tongue and cheek, then cut the tongue into two or three parts.
- Preheat the oven at 150°C (300°F). In a baking dish or oven pot, place the meat, bay leaves, garlic cloves, onion and salt. Then add enough water to cover the meat and seal with aluminium foil. Bake for at least 2 hours, but no more than 3 hours.
- Alternatively, cook in a pot with a lid on the stove for 4 to 6 hours or a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours.
- Let the meat rest and cool down until it is easy to handle. Using two forks, shred the meat to the desired chunk size.
- In a very hot pan or comal, reheat the tortillas and place them in a tea towel.
- Assemble the tacos by placing the meat inside of the tortillas and garnishing with coriander, onion and lime. Enjoy with your salsa of choice
- ¡Buen Provecho!