Lately, I have been playing with a lot of combinations of chillies in my salsas. Each chilli brings a different flavour, for dry chillies I find that the more red and vibrant the colour is, the hotter it is, whilst, the darker the colour the sweeter or bitter it will be. 🌶️🌶️🌶️
Using a mixture of dry and fresh chillies and balancing the flavours with tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, and garlic was lots of fun. 🍅
After multiple winning combinations, and some no so successful 🤣, this recipe was my absolute favourite and when it is gone it becomes a sad day 🥺!
Three Chillies Salsa
- Baking tray
- 5 árbol chillies dry
- 3 ancho chillies dry
- 2 habanero chillies dry
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 tin tomatillos (~750 g) approx 500g of fresh
- Drain the liquid from the tinned tomatillos and rinse the tomatillos with fresh water.
- In a baking tray, add all the ingredients making sure the dry chillies are covered on the veggie stock liquid.
- Place in the oven at 150C for 20 minutes, then switch off the oven and let the tray in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the content of the tray until you get a smooth consistency
- Let the salsa cool down at room temperature or in the fridge before serving