There has been some controversy around this salsa in Mexico in the past years because it has been found that taco stands are not using avocados.
So what do they use instead to make it look and taste like avocado? the answer may surprise you but avocado is replaced with zucchini and tomatillos (or Mexican green tomatoes). You can only imagine the outraged this has caused in Mexico.
People have been enjoying their avocado salsa for years thinking it is the real deal.
But with avocados becoming more expensive around the world year after year. Even Mexico, the origin of these amazing fruit and the biggest exporter in the world, has seen the prices increasing. Replacing avocados with zucchini and tomatillos is actually an ingenious idea.
- Frying pan
- 1 zucchini cut vertically in 4 parts
- 2 avocados preferably hash
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ onion preferably white or yellow
- 2 jalapeños chillies cut in half and stalk removed
- ½ bunch of coriander
- ¼ cup veggie stock
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- Salt to taste
- Cover a frying pan on a thin layer of oil and bring the flame to medium heat.
- Lightly fry the zucchini, chillies, onion and garlic; remove when starting to get brown and place in a blender.
- Add the lime juice, coriander, veggie stock, olive oil, avocado and salt. Blend until you have achieved a smooth consistency.
- Place in a sealed container and store in the fridge until ready serve.
- Replace zucchini with green tomatillos, either fresh or tinned
- Add more jalapeños for extra heat and punch
- Eat within a few hours as avocado paste will start to become brown