A simple, yet delicious combination of eggs, plantains and refried beans.
This dish says – and taste like – ‘Veracruz’ all over. The plantains add this costal flavour to them.
This is one of my favourite breakfasts, especially when by the beach.
Scrambled eggs with refried beans and plantains
Huevos tirados con platano macho
'Huevos tirados' are a popular breakfast dish in Veracruz. The sweetness of the plantains combined with the eggs and refried beans make it an amazing combination.Print Recipe
- 4 free range eggs
- ¾ cup refried black beans refried beans recipe
- 1 plantain replace with a ripped banana
- Vegetable oil
- Totopos or tortillas as a side
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig epazote replace with parsley
- In a hot pan, add vegetable oil to lightly cover the pan, then add the eggs and mix the yolks and whites together using a spatula or spoon. Then add 2 or 3 previously chopped epazote leaves or parsley and a little bit of salt, let it cook for a minute or until the egg starts to cook in the bottom.
- Stir the eggs and add the refried beans, stir until they are completely mixed and the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Peel the banana and cut it into slices of approximately 1cm.
- In another pan, heat a little oil and add the banana slices, cook for a few minutes and turn so that they cook on the other side.
- Serve on a plate and accompany with totopos or tortillas and pickled jalapeños.
- ¡Buen Provecho!
Follow link for refried beans recipe You can also add fresh epazote, parsley, or green chilli.